Local government plays a critical role in managing the risks of exposure to asbestos.
Working in conjunction with the NSW State Government and the general public, councils continue to address the unfortunate legacy of asbestos in our environment.
Situations where NSW councils play an active role include:
- Emergency response
- Management of naturally occurring asbestos
- Regulation of activities (non-work sites, particularly DIY home renovations)
- Regulation of non-declared contaminated land
- Management of council land, buildings and assets
- As a responsible employer
- Education and advice to the wider public
- Waste transport, disposal and regulation
- Land use planning (including development approvals and demolition)
Model Asbestos Policy
The Model Asbestos Policy for NSW councils was developed by LGNSW in partnership with the Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities (HACA). This policy:
- Can be used as the basis for councils’ own asbestos policies
- Outlines councils’ important legislative obligations
- Was developed with input from council representatives
Download the Model Asbestos Policy for NSW Councils (2015) (Word, 770KB)
Download the Guide to the Model Asbestos Policy for NSW Councils (2015) (PDF, 739KB)
Best Practice Asbestos Management Forums for Councils
LGNSW holds best practice asbestos forums across NSW in collaboration with NSW Asbestos Co-ordination Committee and councils.
These forums offer participants the opportunity to explore the role that councils play in the safe management and regulation of asbestos within their local government areas.
To enquire about upcoming forums or to host a forum at your council, email Daniel Adler, LGNSW Asbestos Policy Project Manager, or call (02) 9242 4128.
The Asbestos Network is an online forum and email distribution list designed to connect all council staff involved in asbestos management and regulation to share information, resources, and best practice. The network meets on a monthly basis.
REQUEST TO JOIN NETWORK
ALREADY JOINED? LOGIN HERE TO ACCESS NETWORK
BACK TO MAIN PAGE