Local Government NSW respects and acknowledges the unique culture, societies, history and traditional lands of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people throughout NSW.
Local Government NSW:
- Supports working with Aboriginal communities and organisations to implement the new National Agreement on Closing the Gap.
- Supports initiatives that bring about reconciliation between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People and the wider community
- Encourages member councils to better understand and respond to their Aboriginal communities
- Encourages the state and federal governments to provide infrastructure, facilities and services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and appropriate funding for culturally appropriate Aboriginal programs
- Works to improve legislation relating to Aboriginal issues
- Works to improve relations between member councils and Local Aboriginal Land Councils
NSW Local Government Aboriginal Network
The Local Government Aboriginal Network (LGAN) brings Aboriginal council employees together to share best practice initiatives and programs. Email LGAN Executive Cr Dominic Wy Kanak or contact LGNSW for more information
Local government and Aboriginal communities working together
A joint initiative between LGNSW, the NSW Office of Local Government, the NSW Aboriginal Land Council, Aboriginal Affairs NSW and NSW Planning and Environment, Collaborate NSW consists of a resource kit and website to help encourage the inclusion of Aboriginal communities in council decision-making, service development and delivery.
VISIT COLLABORATE NSW
Councils are encouraged to use this resource to create common ground, strengthen local communities, and work with other spheres of government to achieve reconciliation with Aboriginal Australians.
Stand for your community
LGNSW works with the NSW Office of Local Government to engage with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to boost their representation as candidates in local government elections.
For more information, please visit the Stand for your community page on the Collaborate NSW website.
Australia Day / Day of Mourning / Survival Day
National Sorry Day – Journey of Healing
27 May–3 June
National Reconciliation Week
National Aboriginal Islander Day Observance Committee (NAIDOC) Week
National Aboriginal and Islander Children’s Day
BACK TO MAIN PAGE