On exhibition: Proposed reforms to NSW building laws
The NSW Government is seeking public feedback on a new phase of building industry reforms.
The consultation includes the following proposed Bills and Regulations:
- A new Building Bill 2022 - to create end-to-end accountability for building work in NSW and consolidate and regulate several key elements of the building and construction industry. Will replace the Home Building Act 1989 (HB Act).
- A new Building Compliance and Enforcement Bill 2022 - intended to improve the regulatory framework for the building and construction industry and provide essential supporting compliance and enforcement powers. Will replace the Residential Apartment Buildings (Compliance and Enforcement Powers) Act 2020 (RAB Act).
- A Building and Construction Legislation Amendment Bill 2022 and Building and Construction Legislation Amendment Regulation 2022 – will amend existing Acts to strengthen the legislation supporting the building and construction industry in NSW.
The reforms are in seven areas of change:
- making home building fairer and easier
- supplying and using safer building products
- regulating prefabricated and manufactured homes
- strengthening building compliance and enforcement
- licensing commercial and home building work
- upskilling the building and construction industry
- securing prompt and fair payment for building work.
Consultation is open until Friday, 25 November 2022.
If your council would like to provide input to LGNSW’s submission on these reforms, please contact us.
BACK TO NEWS