Price: $462 incl GST
Local Government Employees, whether they are policy or program analysts or managers, work in a complex evolving policy environment, consisting of multiple stakeholders with different mandates, agenda, plans and priorities. The issues they have to tackle are multidisciplinary and cut across departments and units. Policy development work requires a sound understanding of all these factors and their relationships.
This workshop provides a framework for effective public policy development, which includes: the dynamic nature of the public policy arena, the factors that influence decision makers, as well as an understanding that public policy in Local Government in Australia involves a number of players who contribute to it.
Who should attend this Course?
This course is designed for policy analysts and program officers, as well as managers in governmental and non-governmental organisations whose roles and responsibilities require an understanding of the policy development process.
Workshop topics covered:
- Policy development landscape
- Public policy development process
- Origins of policy
- Issue identification
- Building your evidentiary base
- Policy options development
- Identification and engagement of stakeholders
- Policy implementation
- Performance measurement
By the end of the workshop, you will be able to:
- Enjoy an increased knowledge about the intricate landscape of the complex public policy development process
- Understand the political infrastructure, public sector governance, the institutions, the players, their roles and relationships
- Navigate the public policy development processes from issue identification to solutions
- Frame problems, address issues and articulate solutions
- Understand how to work with State & Federal Government to ensure that policy issues fit into the overall Government of Australia agenda, plans and priorities
- Effectively use citizens, community groups, non-governmental organisations to raise awareness
- Translate policy into action
- Initiate, cultivate and establish relationships
- Assume your role and execute your responsibilities effectively
BACK TO MAIN PAGE