This course is scheduled to be held on 23 September 2021
Price: $440 incl GST
Whether it be reading Council's budget, or contributing or questioning the IP&R Framework and its strategies, senior managers and Councillors are having to make many decisions about financial issues in local government and balance those needs against the needs of the community .
This module will assist senior managers and councillors to make informed decisions about strategic financial issues facing your Council and how to interpret the information you receive.
Who should attend
Senior staff and Councillors.
- Know the responsibilities of councillors in regard to council finances and the annual financial statements.
- Understanding basic Financial Management
- Know how to read and interpret quarterly budget reviews
- Understand the Council’s longer term financial goals
- Understanding the purpose of depreciation and it’s effects on Council finances.
- Council’s need to borrow and invest surplus funds
- Asset Management how it affects council’s finances
- Understanding the IP&R framework and the underlying strategies
- Understand the concept of risk and how it fits into financial management issues
- Know what is expected of councillors during council audits
- Explore how probing questions can assist to make more informed decisions
Participants will gain practical skills, knowledge and confidence in discharging the financial duties of a Senior staff member or councillor.
The program will provide participants with a range of basic tools to understand, interpret, develop, plan and more effectively manage the financial resources of their council, as well as inform them of their duties and responsibilities in regard to the financial management of their Council.
The facilitator will use group discussions, council case studies and Local Government oriented examples, to help you transfer your learning to the workplace.
BACK TO MAIN PAGE