Chairing and Effective Meeting Procedures for Councillors
Price: $440 incl GST
Meetings play an important role in the management of all organisations and are an essential part of good corporate governance. This workshop is designed to assist Councillors in gaining the skills and confidence required to effectively chair, participate in and contribute to council meetings.
Who should attend?
Councillors and committee members. Senior staff may wish to attend to better understand how to support the role of the Councillors.
- Develop a systematic approach to planning, conducting and following up meetings
- Understand the roles, duties and powers of the chair and legal requirements of agendas and minutes
- Use the correct terms, procedures and rules of debate
- Discuss the difficulties in running a meeting, dealing with people and situations
- Use more creative problem solving skills for task orientated meetings, decision making and action planning
- Identify and use effective communication and behaviour styles
- Gain and keep respect, enhance personal presentation
- Understanding of the Code of Meeting Practice and its application in council meetings
- Understanding of motion requirements and the rules of formal debate
- Understanding of appropriate Councillor behaviours during council meetings
- Increased confidence in Councillors’ ability to participate in council meetings
The facilitator will use group discussions, individual exercises, skill practices, council case studies, Local Government oriented examples and video's to assist participants to transfer the learning back to the workplace. All participants will be given a reference workbook to take away. They are asked to bring along a copy of a recent meeting agenda and minutes.
BACK TO MAIN PAGE