Animal Welfare Reform
The NSW Government is modernising and streamlining NSW’s animal welfare laws, proposing to replace three pieces of outdated legislation with one modern Act that will be easier to understand and follow.
The proposed changes are outlined in the Animal Welfare Reform - Discussion Paper, which include:
- Setting a minimum care requirement for those responsible for animals
- Clarifying what constitutes cruelty and who is responsible for the care of an animal
- Introducing a modern penalties framework with increased penalty amounts
- Introducing new and enhanced offences
- Providing updated powers and tools to protect animals in this state
Public consultation will close on Friday 3 September 2021.
Councils may provide feedback by completing the online survey or by emailing your submission to [email protected].
• To provide input for inclusion in an LGNSW submission, please email Susy Cenedese, Strategy Manager – Environment, by Friday 27 August 2021.
BACK TO NEWS