Award Recipients at Special Conference
LGNSW was delighted to present during the Special Conference (held in February 2022) the Outstanding Service Awards and the AR Bluett Memorial Awards, where councils and councillors are recognised for their achievements in local government for services up to December 2021.
Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Mr Ray Donald OAM with LGNSW President Cr Darriea Turley AM.
Lifetime Achievement Award
This award is for outstanding contributions to local government during a councillor’s tenure, which is recommended and endorsed by the LGNSW Board. The board determined there be only one recipient of the award in any calendar year.
Winner: Mr Ray Donald OAM
- Served Bogan Shire Council for 30 consecutive years
- Was mayor for 24 years, serving from 1997 to 2021
- Mr Donald also served in leadership positions on regional and NSW steering committees, advisory councils, boards, working groups and two Ministerial committee and council appointments
- He has been a patron of Local Government NSW for the past eight years, from 2013 to 2021
Outstanding Service Awards
This award is for an appreciation of long and loyal service and notable contribution to a local government and/or the local government sector.
Kate Fegan (StateCover Mutual) and Cr Brian Nelson with LGNSW President Cr Darriea Turley AM.
Mr Brian Nelson
- Mr Nelson was presented with the Outstanding Service Award and a 34-year Retirement Bar
- Mr Nelson has served on Lachlan Shire Council for 34 years
- Mr Nelson was passionate about roads, road safety and ensuring every property could easily be identified and located by emergency services
Kate Fegan (StateCover Mutual) and Cr Reg Kidd with LGNSW President Cr Darriea Turley AM.
Mr Reg Kidd
- Mr Kidd was presented with the Outstanding Service Award, a 30-year Retirement Bar and the Emeritus Mayor Award and title
- Mr Kidd began his service for Orange City Council in 1991 and during his 30 years served five years as Mayor
- Mr Kidd has represented Local Government in NSW on a number of State Advisory committees
Kate Fegan (StateCover Mutual), Cr Ray Donald OAM and LGNSW President Cr Darriea Turley AM.
Mr Ray Donald OAM
- Mr Donald served Bogan Shire Council for 30 years from 1991 as councillor and was first elected as Mayor in 1997
- He held this position until his retirement in 2021
- Mr Donald was the recipient of the Outstanding Service Award, 30-year retirement bar, Emeritus Mayor Award and title, and the LGNSW Medal.
Kate Fegan (StateCover Mutual), Cr Robert Pynsent and LGNSW President Cr Darriea Turley AM.
Mr Robert Pynsent
- Mr Pynsent served Cessnock City Council for 22 years as a councillor and was mayor for nine years
- Throughout his service, he maintained a positive "can do" attitude, resulting in receiving grant funding that delivered significant change for the community
- Mr Pynsent was the recipient of the Outstanding Service Medal and the Emeritus Mayor Award and title
This award is award is for exceptional service, outstanding achievement and significant contribution to advancing the goals of the local government sector.
Kate Fegan (StateCover Mutual), Cr Kathy Sajowitz and LGNSW President Cr Darriea Turley AM.
Ms Kathy Sajowitz
- Ms Sajowitz was the former mayor of Oberon Council and had served the council for six years
- One of Cr Sajowitz's outstanding achievements was her leadership in the fight against amalgamation
This award is presented in appreciation of commitment and dedication to the pursuit of achievement for the community of a local government in NSW as a member of Council.
Kate Fegan (StateCover Mutual), Cr David Kingham and LGNSW President Cr Darriea Turley AM.
Mr David Kingham
- Mr Kingham has served as a councillor at Blayney Shire Council for 13 years
- He initiated the establishment of the Blayney Sports Council and Blayney Sports Awards
Kate Fegan (StateCover Mutual), Cr Doug Curran and LGNSW President Cr Darriea Turley AM.
Cr Doug Curran
- Cr Curran has served as a councillor at Griffith City Council for 13 years
- Cr Curran is passionate about the local community and ensuring the community's voice is heard
- He served as deputy mayor for three years and is now the popularly elected mayor