Local Government NSW has policy positions on various rail transport issues, including:
- Passenger rail is a vital component of the transport task in both urban and regional areas of NSW.
- Rail is the most appropriate form of transport for mass/bulk freight products, and should be used as an alternative to road transport where possible.
- The maintenance and enhancement of rural grain branch lines. In many regional areas of the state rail branch line, closures have forced additional heavy vehicle movements onto adjacent local road networks.
- Supporting the development of a north-south inland freight rail line.
- Supporting the development of high-speed passenger rail on the east cost of Australia.
- There are also many rail/road level crossings on local roads with councils therefore an important stakeholder in level crossings management.