Local Government's Role
LGNSW works with all levels of government to help create more inclusive and liveable communities. In a liveable community, all people feel engaged, can participate in local activities and do not face barriers to carrying out their regular daily lives.
Some features of a liveable community are:
- Walkable pathways, road crossings and ramps.
- Seating in public places.
- Accessible and well located public toilets.
- Public spaces are well lit and have weather protection and hand rails.
- Parking is located near essential services.
- Signage is clear, and includes Braille.
We have collected photos of examples of liveable communities, based on the World Health Organization's Age Friendly Cities checklist (PDF,1.41MB).
Healthy Built Environments
- Heart Foundation Good for Business- The Benefits of Making Streets more Walking and Cycling Friendly