Resources and Case Studies
Councils can use the following resources to address the issue of asbestos:
Model Asbestos Policy
- Produced by LGNSW and the NSW Government and issued under section 23A of the Local Government Act 1993 (NSW), councils are encouraged to use the Model Asbestos Policy as the basis for their own asbestos policies.
Asbestos Management Decision Tree
- A decision tree to aid council staff in managing asbestos inquiries. Produced by LGNSW in 2013. Download Asbestos Management Decision Tree for NSW Councils (PDF, 215KB).
Managing asbestos when buildings are damaged by small scale fires
- Guidance (PDF, 72KB) produced by LGNSW and the NSW Government to aid council staff in understanding the roles and responsibilities of various agencies in managing buildings that contain asbestos materials that are fire-damaged.
Naturally occurring asbestos
- Check out the Heads of Asbestos Coordination Authorities’ pages on managing naturally occurring asbestos (NOA). The pages include supporting documents and a map of areas with potential for NOA.
Guidelines for Cutting, Handling and Disposal of Asbestos Pipes
- Guidance material from the Water Directorate on cutting, handling and disposing of asbestos cement pipes, designed to assist local water utilities. To access a copy of the 2014 guidelines, contact the Water Directorate.
Asbestos-related work and beards/ facial hair
- The information (PDF, 60KB) has been extracted from the Code of Practice - How to Safely Remove Asbestos. It helps councils consider how beards or facial hair affect the efficacy and selection of respiratory protective equipment for workers undertaking asbestos-related work.
Asbestos-related work and health monitoring
Information for NSW councils about health monitoring for asbestos (PDF, 75KB) where a worker is:
Carrying out ongoing asbestos-related work and
- At risk of exposure to asbestos when carrying out the work.
Health Monitoring Guides published by Safe Work Australia in 2013
- This document (PDF, 56KB) outlines four guides on health monitoring that were released by Safe Work Australia in 2013.
- Visit the NSW EPA website for information on requirements for asbestos waste.
Illegal dumping grants
- Check out the NSW EPA's grant funding for cleaning up illegal dumping.
Asbestos and Telstra Communication Pits
- Advice (PDF, 59KB) prepared for NSW councils in response to inquiries regarding asbestos in Telstra communication pits.
- A guide to the agencies and legislation involved in managing asbestos hazards. Produced by the NSW Government in 2011 - Asbestos Blueprint: A guide to roles and responsibilities for operational staff of state and Local Government (PDF, 3.88MB).
Read how councils across NSW are managing the risk of asbestos in the following case studies:
Gundagai Shire Council
Holroyd City Council
- Fight the dust and asbestos answers (2015) (PDF, 322KB)
- Asbestos Collection and Education Program (2014) (PDF, 202KB)
- Free Asbestos Collection Trial (2014) (PDF, 787KB)