Local Government's Role
Events and Resources
Aged and Disability Forum
LGNSW hosted an Aged and Disability Forum for NSW councils on 14 March 2017.
The forum was funded and supported by the Department of Health and Family and Community Services.
The forum was used as a platform to inform and support councils on the aged and disability care reforms and to discuss the implications for their services.
Forum presentations are available for download:
- Sector Support and Development Workers Network - Dee Dee San Jose, San Jose Training & Coaching (PDF, 530KB)
- Changes to Home Care - Peter Wojtowicz, Department of Health (PDF, 1.6MB)
- NDIS Readiness - Karen Stace, NDS (PDF, 1MB)
- Workforce Planning - Jenny Bray (PDF, 922KB)
- Change Management - Dee Dee San Jose, San Jose Training & Coaching (PDF, 450KB)
To further prepare councils for the sector reforms, LGNSW is offering the following training on:
Aged Care Forum 2016
LGNSW hosted an Aged Care Forum for NSW councils on 28 June 2016.
The forum was supported and funded by the Department of Health.
The forum provided key information and updates on the Aged Care Reform to relevant council staff involved in the management and delivery of aged care services.
The forum also facilitated important discussion and networking following the presentation on Marketing and Promoting Aged Care Services and councils' experiences.
Forum presentations and information are available for download:
- Update on My Aged Care and Carers Gateway - James Wilson, Healthdirect Australia (PDF, 1MB)
- Marketing and Promoting Aged Care Services In the Context of Reform - Jenny Bray Training & Consulting (PDF, 493KB) - Speaker notes (PDF, 83KB)
- Exit out of services provision - Narelle Williams, Shellharbour City Council (PDF, 387KB)
- Update on future of aged care funding - Julie Williams, City of Parramatta Council (PDF, 196KB)
Local Government and Community Care Forum 2015
LGNSW, in partnership with Community Options Australia, hosted a forum on 14 May 2015.
The forum was supported and funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services.
The forum facilitated councillors and council staff involved in the management and delivery of aged and disability services to hear what other councils have done in this field and discuss relevant issues.
Download forum presentations below:
- Overview of Operating Context - Zakumi Consulting (PDF, 330KB)
- Opportunities to Innovate - Community Options Australia (PDF, 777KB)
- Relinquish - Greater Hume Shire Council (PDF, 412KB)
- Align/Partner - Uralla Shire, Glenn Innes Severn and Gunnedah Shire Councils (PDF, 671KB)
- Grow and Invest - Kiama Municipal Council (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Strategise and Engage - Willoughby City Council (PDF, 756KB)
Government Departments Panel:
Local Government and Community Care Forum 2013
LGNSW held a one-day forum on 9 August 2013 for councils to share policies and discuss approaches to the challenges facing local government in the future provision of home support and community care.
Download presenations below:
- The Community Care Supports Program – NSW Department of Family and Community Services (PDF, 122KB)
- The Aged Care Reform Package, Focus on 1 July and 1 August 2013 milestones – Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing (PDF, 580KB)
- Aged and Community Services – Greater Hume Shire Council (PDF, 72KB)
- Aged Care and Disability Services – Kiama Council (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Home and Community Services – Willoughby City Council (PDF, 562KB)
- Discussion slide – LGNSW (PDF, 105KB)
- Revised Local Community Care Conference Key Issues March 2016 (PDF, 389KB)
Download the information sheet summarising changes in Community Care and the implications for councils:
Many councils have developed Ageing Strategies to address the needs of older people in the community. These strategies identify the impacts of an ageing population and provide a framework for the council to respond.
LGNSW has developed the Integrated Age-Friendly Toolkit to help NSW councils link their Ageing Strategies to the broader council Community Strategic Plan, Delivery Program and Operational Plan.