Local Government NSW (LGNSW) is committed to environmental sustainability at our events and conferences.
Initiatives to reduce our impacts and carbon footprint include:
- A waste reduction policy.
- Using glasses and water jugs instead of plastic bottled water.
- Sourcing local produce for catering where possible.
For more information, please download the LGNSW Principles and Guidelines for Events (PDF 24.88KB).
Standards for the Event Industry
Event Sustainability Management Systems ISO Standards
In 2012, the Australian Event Industry implemented International Standards for event sustainability.
In June 2010, an information session was held by Standards Australia for the event industry which formed the Australian 'Mirror Committee'. This committee was responsible for guiding the process of formulating the new standards.
The Mirror Committee for Australia consists of:
- Association of Australian Convention Bureaux.
- Australian Centre for Event Management (UTS).
- Australian Banking Association.
- Business Events Council of Australia.
- Business Events Sydney.
- Exhibition & Event Association of Australia.
- Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand.
- International Congress and Convention Association.
- International Special Events Society.
- Live Performance Australia.
- Local Government and Shires Association.
- Meetings and Events Australia.
- NSW Department of Environmental Climate Change and Water.
- Sustainable Event Alliance.
- Sydney Olympic Park Authority.
ISO have published the standard to support the organisers of events of all types in integrating sustainability with their activities. The ISO 20121:2012 document is available to purchase online. For more information, please visit www.iso.org/iso/home.html.
Find Out More:
Resources have been developed by Committee members to support understanding the standard and its implementation:
- Short Guide to Understanding ISO 20121.
- Webcast on Implementing ISO 20121 by Sydney Festival.
- Frequently Asked Questions.
Sustainability Event Training
Arm yourself with the skills to tackle new challenges and opportunities in sustainability. LGNSW's Environment staff can give you advice on training, or you may consider the two-day course provided by Greenshoot Pacific. For more information, please download Greenshoot event training brochure (PDF, 1.02MB).